Volunteer Opportunities Abound in 2012
Our Park Angels are really spreading their wings in 2012 and need your help! If you’ve been thinking about a way to give back to the Charleston community, volunteering in your local parks is the perfect start.
We just announced our new lead Park Angels who will oversee various events and represent the Conservancy in the community, recruiting volunteers and spreading the word about the great work we’re doing.
So, how can you get involved?
First, if you don’t already have your Park Angel wings sign up online and make it official. It’s quick and easy and will grant you access to our official Park Angel events.
Then, join us from 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 28 for a Park Angel Social at our new property at the corner of Magnolia Road and Sycamore Avenue in West Ashley. Join us for games, a chili cook-off and meet other Angels. No charge to attend but please RSVP to Neves Richards.
Once you’ve signed up to be an Angel, decide how you would like to be involved:
· Park Angel Promoters: These volunteers are part of our special events team, representing the Conservancy and recruiting Park Angels at community events like the Cooper River Bridge Run Expo, Charleston Farmers Market and South Carolina Green Fair.
· Park Week: This annual event is a weeklong celebration of Charleston’s parks. Set for March 11-17, there will be different events each day and volunteers are needed to help organize events.
· Teddy Bear Picnic: This Conservancy-sponsored event will be April 22 at Hampton Park. Join the planning committee (three meetings) and volunteer the day of the event.
· Educate You: Our Educate You classes are ongoing and volunteers are needed to help with both our youth and adult programs. Help build birdhouses, go kayaking and crabbing or create nature-based crafts to name a few.
· Group volunteers: Gather your co-workers, book club, church group or friends to work in the park. We have several opportunities for groups and organizations.
Save the date for these upcoming Park Angel events:
- Park Angel Social after our Garden in the Park event on Feb. 4 at Windermere Boulevard Community Garden.
- Gather at the Gibbes Museum of Art for a meeting and special exhibit tour at 6 p.m. Feb. 9.
For questions about how to get involved, contact Neves Richards at Neves@charlestonparksconservancy.org