Parks to Explore
With more than 120 parks and green spaces in the city of Charleston, there’s a pretty good chance you haven’t explored all of them. Typically we frequent parks that are either close to where we live and work or that have particular amenities. To get you thinking about all the parks in the system, here are a few park fun facts.
– Do tennis at night at one of the lighted courts. Orange Grove Park in West Ashley has two tennis courts can be lighted with a push of the button – but only until 10 p.m.
– 5 parks have off-leash dog areas, including Cannon Park, Lenevar Park and Hazel Parker Playground.
– Angel Oak Park is home to the Angel Oak (pictured above), thought to be one of the oldest living things east of the Mississippi River.
– West Ashley Park has an 18-hole disk golf course.
– Look for developments coming to Village Shaftesbury Park, 942 East Estates Blvd., a newly acquired park.
– Take the kids to Chadwick Park, a semi-public park on the site of St. Andrews School of Math and Science, to play on the fitness playground and tree house. (Note: Access is limited during school hours.)
Search our Park Directory for a park that’s near you or has an amenity you need. Let us know what new parks you’re exploring.