Moultrie Park Committee Kicks Off Campaign to Transform Moultrie Playground
On Wednesday, November 16, the Conservancy and a dedicated committee of Moultrie Playground supporters revealed a proposed new design for the revitalization of this multi-use public park adjacent to Colonial Lake. Building upon the hard work and dedication of the surrounding neighborhoods and Charleston Parks Conservancy’s Park Angels to make Colonial Lake a more beautiful and inviting park, the Conservancy and and new Moultrie Playground Committee are now focused on the next phase–the revitalization of Moultrie Park along Ashley Avenue.
The proposed new design improves the layout of the space, adding more seating and picnic areas, pathways for biking and walking, and an enhanced and updated playground that will serve multiple age groups. Details of the plan include:
Creating a more inviting, user-friendly and aesthetically enjoyable playground by updating and moving the playground closer to Ashley Avenue.
– Clustering the active uses–tennis and basketball–together and building an updated basketball court.
– Removing the chain link fence around the baseball field area to create a “great lawn” that can serve multiple uses.
– Adding outdoor ping pong tables next to the current Recreation Center and moveable tables and chairs to add activities for teens and adults.
– Creating new paths and trails and beautiful plantings similar to the gardens and paths at Colonial Lake to extend the Colonial Lake experience across the street.
– Adding an area for off-street food truck parking that will add a new amenity and new energy to the park.
With support from the community, the new Moultrie Playground will be a safer and nicer park for all the surrounding neighborhoods and people from all over the city, and another beautiful landmark green space cared for by Park Angels.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your contact information to receive updates on the progress of this park renovation and to be included in discussions on design. Additionally, please let us know if you can serve as an Ambassador to your friends and neighbors and serve on the renovation committee as we help solicit funds.
This new park revitalization cannot be completed without the support of private donors in our community. Please consider a donation of any size to help get this renovation to completion (select “Apply my gift to a specific project” and choose “Moultrie Playground”).
Moultrie Park Renovation Committee Co-Chairs:
Katherine Cooney – New Street
Charles Darby – Gibbes Street
Jessica Gibadlo – New Street
Ellie Gray – Colonial Street