Learn to be a Southern Vegetable Gardener
In a blog post last week, Jim Martin reminded us it’s time to start getting ready for our fall vegetable gardens and offered up some tips for preparing your beds, cleaning out dead plants and mixing in compost and fertilizer. But if you’re new to the whole idea of growing a vegetable garden, don’t worry, we can help!
Sign up for our fall Vegetable Gardening for Beginners in the South class coming up Sept. 24. Jim Martin, lifelong gardener and horticulturist with the Charleston Parks Conservancy, will teach the class, covering such topics as:
– Getting your soil ready for planting.
– Warm and cool season vegetables.
– Where to find seeds and transplants and how to grow them.
– The good and bad of insects and diseases.
– Healthy ways to grow a vegetable garden.
– Growing vegetables in containers.
After you’ve signed up for the class, start thinking about all the great fall dishes you can make with your freshly grown veggies!