It’s All About Logan

Logan, a retired racer, was adopted by one of my neighbors last December. His previous life as a racer was probably not the happiest of times in his 14 years. But when he joined our four-legged neighborhood group he become full of life and was adored by all who met him. As most dogs, he loved to ride in the car and loved to snuggle not realizing his size.

Two nights ago his owner, Karen, took him on their usual walk down the street to the grassy area where all of our dogs love to run and play. It was around 10:00 and dark. Suddenly he seemed to stiffen up abit and started to act peculiar. She immediately took him home thinking he sprained his leg and that’s when she saw the puncture wounds on his leg, obviously from a venomous snake. They rushed him to the emergency Vet but by 3:00 a.m. he was gone.

The Vet said it was probably from a rattle snake or cotton mouth and that lately he has seen MANY pets with snake bites, more than usual. Apparently this is the time of year when thay are most active, especially after dark, and most aggressive.

I am writing this sad story only to make all pet owners and gardeners aware that these creatures are hiding out there in our gardens, grasses and flower beds. Hopefully this reminder will keep us and our pets safer and more aware of our surroundings.

Back to News