Hit the Park Trail for a Daily Walk
If you’ve put exercise on your list of New Year’s Resolutions, you’re not alone. Almost 40% of people make a weight-related resolution and one of the easiest ways to keep that resolution is simply walking.
Walking is free and doesn’t require any fancy equipment or fitness center memberships. This article from Mother Nature Network shares more great benefits of walking, including fending off diabetes and breast cancer as well as improving your mind.
Despite some chilly days in the winter, people here in Charleston can adopt a year-round walking program. And we have some great parks that make it fun to get out and walk and enjoy the beauty around us.
Here are our favorite parks for walking:
– Ashley River Walk: Take a brisk walk on the scenic path winding along the Ashley River. Enjoy beautiful views of the water, marsh and the marina area while using the walking trail.
– Colonial Lake Park: Walk the perimeter of Colonial Lake and then catch your breath on one of the park benches while taking in an evening sunset. Colonial Lake will be undergoing renovations beginning this spring, resulting in an even more beautiful setting for your daily walk.
– Daniel Island Waterfront Park: Head over to Daniel Island for beautiful walking and biking trails along the Wando River.
– Hampton Park: This 63-acre park has plenty of tree-lined trails making it a great place for an early morning or evening walk.
– West Ashley Park: This is one of Charleston’s largest parks at 260 acres so hit the trails for a walk and you can even let your four-legged friend get some exercise in the dog run.
Let us know your favorite parks for walking!