Corrine Jones Playground Plant List
Planted April 28th, 2012
Rosa ‘Knockout’- Pink Knockout Rose
– Hardy shrub rose with flushes from April until first frost. Hard winter prune required in February and a light summer prune in June. Like full sun and well-drained soil. Mostly disease free, some aphid problems.
Viburnum suspensum– Sandankwa Viburnum
– Great upright to spreading evergreen shrub with rich green, coarse leaves. Small, unpleasant scented white to pinkish flowers in late winter and through spring and summer. Full sun to part shade.
Salvia leucantha ‘Santa Barbara’- Salvia, Mexican Sage
– Upright, fall flowering Salvia. Long rich purple spikes of flowers from September until frost. Full sun.
Eragrostiss elliottii– Blue Love Grass
– Rapid growing ornamental grass. Deep blue-green foliage with blooms from summer into fall. Like full sun.
Panicum virgatum ‘Northwind’- Northwind Panicum Grass, Switchgrass
– Tall, upright ornamental grass with medium green blades. Foliage and flower heads have a great bronze fall color. Good backdrop plant in bunches, as well as great container centerpieces. Full sun to part shade.
Plumbago auriculata – Blue Plumbago
– Evergreen shrub with sprawling, semi-woody stems. Light yellow/green foliage with powder blue flowers, blooms almost all year round, with the exception of cold winter months. Great border plant and also in containers spilling over the sides. Like full sun, flowering reduced in part shade.
Rosmarinus officinalis ‘Prostratus’- Prostrate Rosemary
– Woody perennial herb with fragrant, evergreen foliage. Great drought-tolerant, texture rich plant. Long bloom periods in warm climates with blue/purple flowers.
Abelia ‘Rose Creek’ – Rose Creek Abelia
– Evergreen shrub with moderate growth rate. Relatively low maintenance once established. Grow 2-3 feet tall. Long bloom season, white/blush flowers on crimson stems with rich green leaves. Like partial to full sun.
Rudbeckia hirta ‘Tiger Eye’- Gloriosa Daisy
– Upright annual wildflower with bright yellow, daisy-like flower petals and dark centers on 1-2 foot long stems. Flowers summer and into fall. Like full sun.
Russelia equisetiformis – Cream Firecracker Plant
– Arching, fine textured foliage, reaching 2 to 3 feet tall, and spread up to 2 feet. Showy white cream colored, tubular flowers from spring through fall. Like full to part sun.
Cestrum nocturnum – Night Blooming Jasmine
– Not a “true” Jasmine, but actually from the nightshade family Solanaceae and native to the West Indies and South Asia. Evergreen woody shrub with long, white-green tubular flowers whose aroma can be strongest at night. Not very hardy in the Southeast US, and like many nightshades parts of the plant can be toxic.
Tagetes lemonii – Lemon Marigold
– Evergreen shrub in the Asteraceae family with very fragrant foliage. Hardy down to under 20F, does well in sun and shade.
Chrysanthemum – Garden Mum, Sheffield Pink
– Great October bloomer. Likes full sun, prune in summer to control size and legginess. Full of pink and white blooms for 2-3 weeks in Octiber.
Solidago ‘Little Lemon’ – Dwarf Goldenrod
– Dwarf mounding perennial with many tiny golden flowers. Like full sun, blooms almost 9 months a year. Very hardy.
Planted September 29th, 2012
Viburnum tinus ‘Spring Boquet’ – Spring Boquet Viburnum
– Evergreen shrub with green foliage and red stems. Compact growth habit. Pink buds in winter open to clusters of white flowers. Grows 6-8 feet tall. Likes a mix of sun and shade.
Cyrtomium falcatum – Holly Fern
– Upright, mounding fern that grows to 2-3 feet tall and a 3 foot spread. Glossy and leathery leaves on arching stems. Spores on backs of leaves. Likes full to partial shade, but can handle sun better than many ferns.
Hydrangea serrata ‘Fuji Waterfall’ – Fuji Waterfall Lacecap Hydrangea
Deciduous white lacecap blooms have double sepals over rich green foliage. Excellent for the shade garden, containers or as a border planting.
Osmanthus fragrans – Tea Olive
– Evergreen shrub/small tree with rich green leaves, Long bloom periods of small, yellow-white clusters of inconspicuous flowers with a very powerful fragrance. Like sun and part shade.
Rhododendron x ‘George L. Taber’ – George L. Taber Azalea
– Produces masses of showy single blooms, light pink variegated with white. Great evergreen, premier shrub for use as hedge, screen or massed planting for impressive color display. Shade to partial sun.
Pittosporum tobira ‘Mojo’ – Mojo Pittosporum
– Very hardy, tough, dense evergreen shrub. Variegated foliage, does well in sun to part shade.
Liriope muscari – Monkey Grass, Lilyturf
– Perennial, evergreen clumping herb. Very tough. Moderately drought tolerant. Like partial to deep shade. Small purple flowers on short spikes.
Fatsia japonica – Fatsia
-Hardy evergreen shrub with long, leathery, palmate-lobed leaves, usually 8 lobes. Name comes from old Japanese word for eight ‘fatsi’. Likes part to full shade.
Camellia japonica – Japanese Camellia
– Great evergreen shade shrub, producing big buds and flowers in Spring and Fall, more prolific in Spring. Rich green, leathery foliage year round. Likes well drained soil.
Rhododendron sp. – Encore Azalea
– Azalea that blooms in the Fall as well as the Spring. Bright pink flowers, likes shade or filtered sunlight.
Tennis Court bed, planted April 2013
Canna x generalis ‘Australia’ – Burgundy Canna Lily
– Clumping 4-5 foot tall blood red/burgundy Canna. Likes full sun. Bright red and orange flowers steady summer til frost
Hibiscus coccineus – Red Swamp Mallow
– Hemp-like, palmate leaved perennial growing 3-6 feet tall. Enjoys full sun and medium to wet soils, can become leggy and not flower well if given too much shade, great for swale and rain gardens. Bright red blooms from Summer into Fall.
Pennisetum purpureum ‘Princess’ – Purple Princess Fountain Grass
– Medium sized ornamental grass rich with greens and purples. Great accent plant. Exhausted brown foliage tears away for easy maintenance. Full sun.
Viburnum tinus ‘Spring Bouquet’ – Spring Bouquet Viburnum
– Evergreen shrub with green foliage and red stems. Compact growth habit. Pink buds in winter open to clusters of white flowers. Grows 3-4 feet tall. Likes a mix of sun and shade.
Callistemon viminalis ‘Red Cluster’ – Red Cluster Bottlebrush
– Evergreen small tree with bright red flowers resembling a bottlebrush in spring into summer. Likes full sun.
Cercis reinformis ‘Oklahoma’ – Oklahoma Redbud
– Deciduous tree which typically grows to 12-18′ tall. Clusters of tiny pink-red flowers that bloom on branches in early Spring before the foliage emerges. Leaves open soft pink but gradually mature to a glossy rich green. Round shape, likes sun. Nice Fall color.
Hamelia patens – Firebush
– Herbaceous perennial shrub. Tubular orange/red flowers in Summer and Fall. Thrives in full sun and high heat but can tolerate some shade.