Chapel Street Fountain Park Plant List
Crinum ‘Stars and Stripes’- Stars and Stripes Crinum Lily
– Clumping bulb with long, rich green foliage. White flowers with red/pink stripes on 2 foot stalks in summer. Like full sun, moderately salt tolerant. Foliage damaged by cold temperatures but come back strong.
Rosmarinus officinalis ‘Prostratus’- Prostrate Rosemary
– Woody perennial herb with fragrant, evergreen foliage. Great drought-tolerant, texture rich plant. Long bloom periods in warm climates with blue/purple flowers.
Callicarpa americana– American Beautyberry
– Deciduous, woody shrub. Like full sun to part shade, more fruit set in full sun. Not salt tolerant. Rich magenta berries in late summer and through fall, remaining on bare stems after leaves drop. Low maintenance plant that attracts birds.
Eucomis ‘Sparkling Burgundy’- Pineapple Lily
– Rich purple, clumping accent plant. Produces long bloom stalk in summer that resembles a pineapple, which is where it derives its name, since it is in the Asparagus family, not the Pineapple family. Like full sun.
Rudbeckia hirta ‘Indian Summer’- Gloriosa Daisy
– Upright annual wildflower with bright yellow, daisy-like flower petals and dark centers on 1-2 foot long stems. Flowers summer and into fall. Like full sun.
Malvaviscus arboreus var. drumondii – Turk’s Cap, Wax Mallow
– Evergreen shrub in the Hibiscus family. Can become tree and vine-like. Rapid grower. Red, funnel-like flowers in summer and fall. Like full sun. Little salt tolerance.
Justicia brandegeana– Shrimp Plant
– Evergreen leggy shrub. White and red flowers in summer and fall that resemble shrimp. Like full sun. Hummingbird attractor.
Asparagus densiflorus ‘Sprengeri’- Asparagus Fern
– Evergreen, perennial, tuberous groundcover. Like full sun to part shade. Drought tolerant, low maintenance ground cover and border plant.
Aspidistra elatior ‘Milky Way’ – Cast Iron Plant
– Rhizomatious perennial from Japan. This cultivar is adorned with many tiny white spots. Great shade plant and indoor/containter plant, very tought, hence the name Cast Iron plant.
Plectranthus ‘Mona Lavender’- Mona Lavender Plectranthus
– Herbaceous shrub with rich green/purple foliage. Treated as an annual in South Carolina. Bright purple, tubular flower clumps in summer and fall. Likes shade and part sun.
Bulbine frutescens ‘Hallmark’ – Bulbine
– Clumping succulent perennial. Small yellow flowers on 2-3 ft spikes from mid-Spring through fall. Like full sun to part shade.
Eragrostiss elliottii– Blue Love Grass
– Rapid growing ornamental grass. Deep blue-green foliage with blooms from summer into fall. Like full sun.
Cephalotaxus harringtonia – Japanese Plum Yew
– Small, coniferous shrub. Spreading growth habit. Like full to partial shade and moist, well-drained soil.
Athyrium filix-femina ‘Lady in Red’ – Lady in Red Fern
– Medium-large feathery fern with long, rich green blades. Like full shade with dappled sun.
Mahonia eurybracteata ‘Soft Caress’ – Soft Caress Mahonia
– Great shade plant. Small evergreen shrub, growing 2-3 feet tall. Yellow flower clusters in fall give way to blue berries. Like well-drained soil.
Abelia ‘Rose Creek’ – Rose Creek Abelia
– Evergreen shrub with moderate growth rate. Relatively low maintenance once established. Grow 2-3 feet tall. Long bloom season, white/blush flowers on crimson stems with rich green leaves. Like partial to full sun.
Phlox paniculata ‘Grape Lollipop’ – Grape Lollipop Phlox
– Mildew resistant phlox with fragrant, purple/grape-colored blooms. Upright growth habit with summer blooms. Attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Like full sun. Water just root zone. Deadheading helps to prolong bloom period.
Aloe saponaria – Soap Aloe
– Grow up to 1-2 feet tall, with a spreading habit and succulent pale green leaves with white speckles. Sharp teeth on leaf margins. Produce tall flower stalks a couple times a year, up to 2 feet tall with showy, tubular red/orange flowers. Very drought tolerant, like full sun to part shade. Will produce offsets and expand over seasons.
Ligularia tussilaginea ‘Gigantea’– Giant Ligularia, Giant Leopard Plant
– Great evergreen, hardy shade plant with large, leathery leaves. Produce numerous daisy-like flowers in winter months atop 5-6 foot tall spikes.
Lantana sp. ‘Pink Caprice’ – Pink Caprice Lantana
– Fast growing perennial shrub with gorgeous pale pink and yellow flowers from late spring to frost. Like full sun. Attracts butterflies.
Narcissus sp. ‘February Gold’ and ‘Carlton’ – Daffodil
– Late winter/spring flowering bulbs with green foliage and yellow and white, cup shaped flowers. Full sun.
Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’ – Red Switchgrass
– Great red foliage ornamental grass with tremendous fall color. Grows 2-3 feet tall and has 2 foot spread. Like full to part sun. Drought tolerant once established.
Jasminum mesnyi ‘Full Moon’ – Full Moon Primrose Jasmine
– Open, evergreen shrub with long slender stems that will climb like a vine with support. 5-10 feet in height and spread. Dark green leaves, fragrant yellow, trumpet-shaped flowers in spring into summer. Like part sun, afternoon shade in the South.
Hisbicus syriacus ‘Red Heart’ – Red Heart Rose of Sharon
– Vase-shaped shrub with white petal flowers with rich red centers in summer and into fall. Like full sun, can tolerate some shade.
Acanthus ‘Summer Beauty’ – Bear’s Breeches
– Clumping growth habit. Deep green, shiny leaves with tall 5-6 foot flower spikes in summer. Showy purple and white flowers. Like shade to part sun.
Salvia greggii ‘Rose Pink’ – Rose Pink Autumn Sage
– Soft, mounding shrub with small aromatic leaves and deep pink/red blooms from spring to frost. Like full sun and attracts hummingbirds.
Muhlenbergia dumosa – Bamboo Muhly Grass
– Fast growing clumping ornamental grass with fluffy, bamboo-like foliage. Grows 3-6 feet tall. Like full sun.
Origanum vulgare ‘Aureum’ – Creeping Golden Oregano
– Drought tolerant, perennial herb groundcover. Green foliage with golden edges. Showy flowers in summer into fall. Like full sun.
Doryanthes palmeri – Doryanthes, Spear Lily
– Agave family plant with large, lance leaves. Upright growth habit with red flowers. Great accent or large container plant. Like sun with part shade.
Sedum tetractinum ‘Coral Reef’ – Coral Reef Sedum
– Spreading growth habit with round, flat foliage. Great red/bronze fall color. Bright yellow flower clusters in summer. Like shade to part sun.
Dryoteris erythrosora – Autumn Fern
– Bold, dwarf spreading fern. Copper colored foliage. Like full shade.