Allan Park Plant List
Planted May 17, 18, and 19, 2012
Athyrium niponicum ‘Ghost’ – Ghost Lady Fern
Named ‘Ghost’ for its silver color, this deciduous fern native to east Asia unfurls fronds from the base that grow to about 24-30″. Upright growth habit and likes mostly shady spots.
Juncus effusus ‘Quartz Creek’ – Quartz Creek Soft Rush
Soft Rush that does well in shade and sunny spots. Very fine, upright blue-green stems with white flowers in summer. Great water plant.
Farfugium japonicum ‘Gigantea’ – Giant Leopard Plant
– Great evergreen, hardy shade plant with large, leathery leaves. Produce numerous daisy-like flowers in winter months atop 5-6 foot tall spikes.
Mahonia eurybracteata ‘Soft Caress’ – Soft Caress Mahonia
Great shade plant. Small evergreen shrub, growing 2-3 feet tall. Yellow flower clusters in fall give way to blue berries. Like well-drained soil.
Osmanthus fragrans – Tea Olive
– Evergreen shrub/small tree with rich green leaves, Long bloom periods of small, yellow-white clusters of inconspicuous flowers with a very powerful fragrance. Like sun and part shade.
Rhododendron ‘George L. Taber’ – George L. Taber Azalea
– Produces masses of showy single blooms, light pink variegated with white. Great evergreen, premier shrub for use as hedge, screen or massed planting for impressive color display. Shade to partial sun.
Viburnum tinus ‘Spring Boquet’ – Spring Boquet Viburnum
– Evergreen shrub with green foliage and red stems. Compact growth habit. Pink buds in winter open to clusters of white flowers. Grows 6-8 feet tall. Likes a mix of sun and shade.
Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Tamukeyama’ – Tamukeyama Japanese Maple
– Great specimen shade tree. Grows 6-8 feet tall. Great fall color. Likes moist soil and mostly shade with a little filtered sun. Foliage can fry in full sun environments.
Cercis reniformis ‘Oklahoma’ – Oklahoma Redbud
– Deciduous tree which typically grows to 12-18′ tall. Clusters of tiny pink-red flowers that bloom on branches in early Spring before the foliage emerges. Leaves open soft pink but gradually mature to a glossy rich green. Round shape, likes sun. Nice Fall color.
Abelia chinenses – Chinese Abelia
Hardy evergreen shrub with an upright and spreading growth habit. Little white flowers in Spring through Fall. Drought tolerant and does well in full and part sun.
Aloysia virgata – Sweet Almond Bush
Fast growing, upright evergreen shrub with very fragrant long, white flowers almost year round. Hardy to zone 8 and likes full sun.
Carex morrowii ‘Silver Sceptre’ – Silver Sceptre Carex, Japanese Sedge
Low growing, clumping sedge with white-margined leaves. Drought tolerant and a great border plant in shady areas.
Cestrum parqui – Yellow Jasmine, Chilean Cestrum
Upright woody evergreen shrub with small yellow-green tubular flowers in summer and fall that produce small black berries. Attracts birds and likes full sun.
Chasmanthium latifolium – Northern Sea Oats
Upright ornamental grass that grows 2-5 feet in height. Likes full sun to part shade. Flowers in the fall and foliage adds great fall and winter color to the garden.
Colocasia esculenta ‘Mojito’ – Mojito Elephant Ear
Great Elephant Ear with rich, purple stems and green ears with purple spots throughout. Can handle sun and shade and likes moist areas.
Crinum asiaticum – Crinum Lily
Large bulb with long, strap like leaves and white flowers in summer. Great for adding a tropical feel to the garden. Likes full sun but can tolerate some shade.
Cyrtomium falcatum – Holly Fern
– Upright, mounding fern that grows to 2-3 feet tall and a 3 foot spread. Glossy and leathery leaves on arching stems. Spores on backs of leaves. Likes full to partial shade, but can handle sun better than many ferns.
Hydrangea serrata ‘Fuji Waterfall’ – Fuji Waterfall Lacecap Hydrangea
Deciduous white lacecap blooms have double sepals over rich green foliage. Excellent for the shade garden, containers or as a border planting.
Illicium floridanum ‘Alba’ – White Anise
– Spring-blooming evergreen shrub with dense, rich, dense green foliage. White, star-shaped flowers. Likes full to partial shade.
Illicium henryi – Henry’s Anise
– Evergreen shrub with red-pink, star shaped flowers in late Spring. Likes shade but can tolerate sun. Pyramidal growth habit and very dense.
Lespedeza liukiuensis ‘Little Volcano’ – Little Volcano Bush Clove
– Upright clumping lespedeza with small green leaves. Beginning in September and throughout Fall, the bush is covered in bright purple-red flowers. Like full sun.
Odontonema cuspidatum – Firespike
– Showy evergreen shrub with branches that grow mostly straight up to about 4-6 feet tall. Shiny dark green leaves with wavy margins and long pointed tips. In Summer through Winter produces long spikes of red, tubular flowers. Attracts hummingbirds. Does well in sun and shade.
Plumbago – Imperial Blue Plumbago
– Evergreen shrub with sprawling, semi-woody stems. Light yellow/green foliage with powder blue flowers, blooms almost all year round, with the exception of cold winter months. Great border plant and also in containers spilling over the sides. Like full sun, flowering reduced in part shade.
Salvia leucantha ‘Santa Barbara’ – Dwarf Mexican Sage
– Upright, everflowering Salvia. Long rich purple spikes of flowers from Spring until frost. Full sun.
Ilex x Christmas Jewel – Christmas Jewel Holly
– Evergreen pyramidal small tree with glossy, rich green leaves and loaded with small red berries much of the year. Slow grower that likes sun, can grow up to 10 feet tall.