5 Reasons We Love Spring in Charleston
After what seemed like an endless winter, spring has finally arrived and we’re ready to throw off the winter doldrums and rush into the sunshine. There are many reasons to love Charleston in the spring but we’ve narrowed it down to five.
1. Flowers are blooming all over. Stop by Cannon, Allan, Corrine Jones and Brittlebank parks for some beautiful blooms, including hundreds of daffodils. One of our recently redeveloped green spaces, Logan Street Triangle Park on Beaufain Street, is also filled with daffodils right now. So grab your camera and take a park tour. Don’t forget to share your photos with us on social media with hashtag #bloomalert.
2. Digging in the dirt. We have plenty of opportunities for volunteers to work alongside us in making Charleston’s parks even more beautiful. We have Garden in the Parks events from 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Check our calendar for park locations and additional Garden in the Park events.
3. Vegetable gardening. It’s time to start thinking about growing everything from tomatoes and squash to rosemary and mint. We’re excited to get started very soon on the new West Ashley community garden at the corner of Sycamore Avenue and Magnolia Road. Keep watching for opportunities to lease a space, volunteer in the garden and for educational opportunities so you can grow vegetables right in your own backyard.
4. Fresh air and sunshine. We’ve had a particularly cold and wet winter here in Charleston so we’re all ready to rush outside to feel the sun on our faces and breathe in some fresh, floral-scented air. You just have to admit, spring just feels good.
5. Festivals and fun. There’s always so much going on around Charleston in the spring – many events in the parks, including music festivals, Piccolo Spoleto activities and more.
Now let’s hear your favorite things about spring!